Monday 8 November 2010

Mussoorie, UK (Uttarakhand)

Apologies for the radio silence. I am finally back from my holiday and feel like a human being again. The blood alcohol levels are back to normal. Mostly. The Garhwal Terrace Bar is worth a visit. It's what you'd expect from a government bar but the view of Dehra Dun from the balcony is spectacular. The food however, was downright disgusting. Stick to the peanuts and papads.

Tavern

The Tavern, at the other end of Mall Road is the place for food.  I am told that during the peak season consider yourself lucky if you get a place to sit. This time of the year though, we had the place to ourselves, to the horror of the manager. The menu is eclectic, which made me vary at first, but that changed once the food arrived. The Kali Mirch Murg Tikka (Black Pepper Chicken Tikka) I highly recommend. Superbly juicy and, as the name suggests, peppery. Simple and  very satisfying.


Kali Mirch Murg Tikka

The Seekh Kebabs were interesting. The texture was not granular at all. It was dense and reminded me of Rista, the Kashmiri meat balls, that are made by pounding meat and lamb fat for hours, till the structure of the meat itself changes. This gave the kebab a nice bite. Though I hate to say this, a bite similar to that of processed meat. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.


Seekh Kebabs

This is another one of the Sino-Ludhianvi greats - Crispy Shredded Lamb. The peppers and onions were crispy indeed, but I cannot say the same for the lamb. Hearty slices of lamb though and boldly seasoned with Schezwan peppercorns. I have had this dish in numerous places but I have never come across one as good as that that used to be served at Kwality Restaurant in Dehra Dun. Unfortunately the place shut down sometime ago, but I am told the chef is now at the Alcove, at Meedo's Grand in Dehra Dun. Give it a try.  Good food after you've had a few. Even better when you've had a few too many.


Crispy Shredded Lamb



No comments:

Post a Comment