Tuesday 4 January 2011

Roast Venison on Creamed Wild Mushrooms with Rosemary & Garlic Tatties and Snowpeas

I normally let the meat dictate what I cook. The sauce, condiments, even the presentation follows. At the Borough Market, in the vegetable section we spotted a mushroom stall that looked as welcoming as anything that doesn't bleed can possibly look. A sniff of the mushrooms and I was sold. I was having some even if only for a sauce. I recognised the Oysters (my grandmother used to grown some) and the Chanterelles. The other two I did find out about but my bird brain now fails me. So this dish started with half a brown paper bag-full of an assortment of these four types of fungi and then the search for the meat was on.


Considered fish, duck, even pigeon but finally settled on some venison. Wild venison if I might add (to make it all sound overly posh). Got the butcher to cut us a portion out of a rolled haunch. Had settled on Creamed Wild Mushrooms as the side and though game would go down a treat. Could have done some beef. There was some great looking Highland beef on the counter, but hadn't had venison in a while. Part Christmas indulgence too.

Preparing the venison to roast:-
The venison was rubbed down with some olive oil and pepper and then rolled around in a generous slug of red wine. Put with it a bay leaf and let sit for a bit. I refrained from putting any salt in at this stage should it draw moisture out of the meat while it stood.


For the Garlic and Rosemary Potatoes:-
Half some new potatoes and part boil them, leaving them just a little crunchy. To finish these heat some olive oil, with some butter for added richness and gleam.  Put into the pan some rosemary, fresh or dry, and some cloves of garlic, smashed but skin intact. The skin will prevent the garlic from burning crisp and imparting a bitter flavour to the potatoes. Without much further ado add the potatoes. Skin side down if I may recommend. I find that nicely browning the skin first will preserve the structural integrity of your tatties.


Cooking Bambi:-
Heat some oil in a baking tray, on the hob. Once smoking, seal off the rolled venison joint. As the meat hits the hot oil you'll get a lovely sweet smell from those sugars in the wine. Once sealed off nicely, pour into the tin  the rest  of the wine from the marinade. I like my meat rear, blue even, and I put the 380 gram joint into a oven at 220'c for about 17 minutes. Lay the cooked meat on a chopping board and cover with foil to rest for about 5.

For the Creamed Wild Mushrooms:-
DO NOT wash the mushrooms. If you don't have a mushroom brush then use a clean basting brush. Wash nice mushrooms in water and you lose some of the goodness. In a pan heat butter, introduce the mushrooms and add a pince of salt and pepper. Just as the mushrooms begin to soften add a few tablespoon fulls of double cream. Till the cream coats the shrooms. Taste and adjust seasoning. Do not cook the crap out of the mushrooms. A little texture goes a long way. Do all of this while the meat rests, should not take more than 4-5 minutes.


Oh yes, blanched some snowpeas to add a touch of green to the dish.

I did not want to drench the mushrooms in cream and the venison in cream sauce. I arranged nice chunky slices of venison on the Creamed Mushrooms, with only a very little drizzle of cream on the meat. Seasoned the meat once plated with coarse sea salt. The tatties and greens on the side.

Now I could go on about how everything worked so well, but I am not going to. But I will say this - it was all damn bloody good!

Roast Venison on Creamed Wild Mushrooms with Rosemary & Garlic Tatties and Snowpeas

No comments:

Post a Comment