Wednesday 12 January 2011

The Catholic Coronary

Sitting at Curlies on Anjuna beach in Goa, as hungover as Jesus after the last supper, I didn't even bother looking at the menu. If I was in Goa, I had to eat a Sorpotel. I have heard about this Catholic Goan dish, made with pork and vinegar. A curry, quite like a Vindaloo (also a Portuguese import)  - if you are British, it's nothing like the Indo-British crap you are thinking of. Don't know when you'd eat a Sorpotel, but I am pretty sure its not a breakfast item. Just thought a curry would do the system some good, and a beer of course. And trust you me, I don't think you will find an oilier curry.

"Eat my dust Deep Fried Mars Bar"
Even though it was my first Sorpotel, I am pretty sure it wasn't a very good one. Now, I am all up for grease but when there is more oil than curry, not good. But devour it in record time, get a few beers in you and lie in the sun, and you have the perfect cure for a sore head!
Sorpotel is one of those dishes that each family has its own recipe to. I am told pork is used with offal, pork liver mainly. Couldn't taste any liver in mine though. The meat is sauteed in a tangy vinegar sauce and the thing is said to get better as it gets a little older. True for all curries this! Had mine with rice. May not have been the best of sorpotels but a solid breakfast nonetheless. Hangover cured and stomach lined for another day in Goa.

No comments:

Post a Comment