Wednesday 16 March 2011

Where is meat made?

meat[meet] –noun
1. the flesh of animals as used for food.

Meat eaters fall under two categories. One; those that eat animals. And two; those that, for some reason beyond my comprehension, seem to forget where meat actually comes from. The latter I despise - more than vegetarians. Most people who eat meat seem to forget, or choose to forget, that a steak mooed not too long ago. I took a few Americans to dinner in Germany last September. Situated on the Main, this boat club served up some of the best food I've ever eaten. Local oysters, fresh fish, some German classics like the Schweinshaxe, the works. I went for the Calf's Liver with Mash, Roasted Apples and Gravy. A couple of my guests, Baked Seabass with Lemon and Rosemary. What my dear friends from The United World of America did not realise that the Seabass was not going to come out of a tin. They stared at their plates, as the fish stared back, not knowing how to start on the damn thing.

There was this show on British television called Kill it, Cook it, Eat it, where some specimens from the British public watched their meat go from pasture to pot. I am not proposing a soap-esque drama like that. I am proposing something much more radical!

If you eat meat and have never killed your food - shot it, slaughtered it, or clubbed it across the head, if you like eating baby seals - then give it a shot. If you still keep to your eating ways, which I hope you would, you will appreciate your meat a lot more. If you gag at the thought of having another bite of meat then good riddance, and if you carry on eating meat believing it came from the 'shop' you are the worst of the lot. Ignorant and damned.

I have been rearing my own animals for food for a few years now. Chickens to be precise. I rather that my food live well. While it lives that is. I don't think an overcrowded cage, where chickens wallow in their own shit, is much fun. But that's what most meat eaters settle for. Me included - most of the times. But if I can rear my food, I do. It normally leads to better ingredients to cook with, a longer association and a deeper involvement with your grub and, well, a certain satisfaction. Not to mention better food. And that's what it's all about.

I am currently in the process of building such an association with a couple of goats. Haven't named them - I don't name my food.


No comments:

Post a Comment